- For the black-eyed pea salsa: combine the sweetcorn, black-eyed peas, celery, onions, peppers, carrots, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, Cajun seasoning and coriander in a large bowl. if you have time, leave it for an hour to allow the flavours to mingle, stirring the vegetables occasionally to coat the vegetables fully.
- For the fishcakes: cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, drain returning the cooking water to the pan, and mash thoroughly.
- Cut the catfish into small pieces, place in the potato water, cover the pan and leave for 3 minutes to poach. Drain off the water and leave the fish to cool.
- Once cool, add to the mash along with the onion, coriander, 1 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning, mustard, salt and pepper and gently stir together. Mix the cornmeal, remaining Cajun seasoning and flour together on a shallow plate and season with salt and pepper.
- With floured hands shape the fish mixture into medium sized patties, then coat them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Coat the base of a frying pan with oil over a medium heat Add the fishcakes to the hot oil and fry gently for 3-5 minutes on each side until they form a golden crust.
For the black eyed pea salsa
* 2 x 325g cans of sweetcorn, drained
* 1 x 400g can black-eyed beans
* 125g celery, finely diced
* 125g onions, finely diced
* 125g mixed peppers, finely diced
* 125g carrots, finely diced
* 50ml olive oil
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 lemon, juice only
* 1 pinch cajun seasoning
* bunch coriander, chopped
For the fishcakes
* 4 potatoes, (about 750g), peeled and cut into chunks
* 300g catfish fillets, or pengasius, skinned
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 handful fresh coriander, chopped
* 2 tsp cajun seasoning
* 2 tbsp mild American mustard
* 100g cornmeal
* 50g plain flour
* vegetable oil, for frying